welcome to Local Eats Project! It was an idea launched by a proponent of local food, mona harrison, as a way to promote the idea of frequenting local restaurants and flooding them with support. Each week, we’ll make at least three restaurant suggestions covering different cuisines in different areas of the city. These will be restaurants exclusive to the Wichita area and ones you won’t find anywhere else. If you have restaurants that need love, you can recommend them here.
How to participate :
- Eat out. If it’s something as simple as ordering a drink, stopping for dessert, having a full meal, support the restaurant.
- Leave a comment! Whether you choose to eat out or spend the week away, leave a genuine, positive review if you like the place. Reviews can boost business and help their search position. Word of mouth works! Do it on your social pages, leave a review on their Yelp, Google, Facebook page or more.
- Buy a gift card. If you want to avoid bombing the restaurant and are worried that it might be too busy, try to buy a gift card if they have the option.
- Wait later. If you’re short on time, visit the restaurants listed whenever it suits your schedule.
- Interact with their social media accounts. Like, comment, follow, share what you like about them.
Other project participants will take care to notify the restaurants to prevent them. With any project, we come to hesitations and denials about whether it is worth it. All I can say is we don’t know until we try. Will it be sustainable? Who knows, but maybe this could be the spark the restaurant needs. If anything, you might just discover a new restaurant you’ll love.
Without further ado, here is Week 1 or Project Local Eats:
Fizz Burgers and Bottles
7718 E 37th St N, Wichita, KS 67226
(Closest intersection: 37th and Rock Road)
Monday – Saturday: 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Close on Sunday
The description: Made from homemade burgers, fries, sweet potato fries, chicken sandwiches, pulled pork and more.
El Jalisco Mexican Restaurant
627 E 47th St S., Wichita, KS 67216
(Nearest intersection: 47th and Broadway)
Wednesday – Monday: 10:30 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Closed on Tuesdays
The description: Mexican restaurant serving tacos, tortas, burritos, pupusas, enchiladas and more.
El Jalisco Mexican Restaurant
7603 W 21st Street, Wichita, KS 67205
(Closest intersection: 21st and Ridge Road)
Tuesday – Sunday: 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Closed on Mondays
The description: Thai and Asian cuisine
When deciding which restaurant(s) you plan to visit, it is important to note:
A sudden rush of new business, food shortages, staffing issues, changing hours of operation can be frustrating or can lead to slower service when eating out. Wait times may also be longer than usual and incidents may occur at unprecedented times.
These are in fact not normal times. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Try to be patient and understand that the new reality is impacting everyone and most people are doing their best.
Do you have a restaurant you want to suggest? Fill out the form here.
If you want to check out past Project Local Eats suggestions, you can check out the archives here.
Did you like the article? You can contribute to the sustainability of our site with a simple one-time or recurring donation. Your contribution is appreciated.